Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Notes From the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick

While not my favorite Sonnenblick book (which would be Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie), this was still a solid read. After Alex Gregory drove a car without a license (while drunk) and decapitated a lawn gnome, he is required to work community service with senior citizen and resident grouch Solomon Lewis. In the beginning of the book, Alex is self-centered and immature. In fact, I thought his character was annoying. Yet, as the book continued, I started to like Alex more and more. I loved Solomon, a character who was inspired by the author's grandfather. The story takes hilarious (and somewhat predictable) turns as crusty old Solomon and Alex get to know each other. 
I recommend this to readers who can relate to family issues, divorce, and making mistakes, as well as readers who like music--playing electric guitar in particular. It would strongly appeal to middle school boys with an interest in music. I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment