Monday, August 8, 2016

Mosquitoland by David Arnold

I really wanted to like this book, but I found that the part I liked the best was the end (maybe because it was over?). While Mim (the female MC) has relatable problems (new, evil stepmother; relocated to a new, crappy state) and some interesting problems (father who wants to medicate her and worries she's crazy), Mim's thought processes were often confusing and rambling. As other reviews have stated, it seemed like this book was trying too hard. The wit was heavy handed and I don't like to be slammed over the head. The best moments were after Walt and Beck showed up, so I'm not sure that says much about Mim as the main character. I recommend this book to readers who like books about characters with mental illness; family drama; road trips and adventure. Although it was not my fave summer read, many people give it 4-5 stars, so it is worth giving it a try. Just don't force yourself to finish it if you're not "feeling the vibe" after the first 50-75 pages.  

No comments:

Post a Comment